Family Promise of Greater Rochester (formerly RAIHN) at Third Church
Through our work with Family Promise of Greater Rochester, Third Church volunteers truly change lives. Just this month a woman whose family went through the Family Promise program called to say that not only is her family now stable, they are moving to a new home and want to donate some of their furniture back to Family Promise! She is so grateful for the support that helped her get back on her feet so she could provide a safe home for her children, and now she wants to “pay it forward,” to help another family like hers.
In the last eight months, since January 1, 2021:
- Family Promise’s Shelter Program has provided temporary housing for 16 families. Although the pandemic has prevented us from housing guest families in our church building, Third Church has remained a faithful partner in this effort—our members have provided groceries and gift cards for six families each of our rotation weeks.
- Family Promise provided emergency assistance for eviction prevention or rehousing to 72 families. Transferring the administration of Third Church’s People’s Emergency Fund to Family Promise has had a significant impact on the number of families served.
- Family Promise administered emergency assistance to 230 households through EPPI/ERAP (Eviction Prevention Pilot Initiative/Emergency Rental Assistance Program, sponsored by Monroe County and the City of Rochester, and administered by Family Promise and other agencies)
- Family Promise case managers have taken over 1,250 calls for assistance from people facing eviction or already experiencing homelessness—the need for safe, affordable housing continues to far outpace the resources available.
Thank you, Third Church and our support congregations—Temple B’rith Kodesh, Pearce Memorial Church, and Two Saints (St. Luke & St. Simon Cyrene Episcopal Church)—for believing in the promise of every family. Your kindness and generosity have made a tremendous impact during the pandemic on those experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness.
You can help during Third Church’s next weeks in the rotation: September 5-12, December 12-19, and January 16-23. Please contact Louis.Loggi@gmail.com to sign up! We are grateful for you.
- FRGROC is featured in the Rochester Beacon! A Harsh Winter Looms for the Homeless
- From The Chronicle of Philanthropy: Ford and Robert Wood Johnson Foundations Put $7.5 Million Into Efforts to Give Tenants Clout
“Every family whose eviction is prevented is a family that does not undergo the traumatic and costly experience of instability and homelessness. Every family kept in housing means children can have the future they deserve.”
Claas Ehlers, Family Promise (national) CEO